"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from
the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
-Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rock the Boat

Well, Ive made it onto the ship succesfully and even managed to make it through the first few days.
 
I wasn't too nervous getting onto the charter bus that was taking us to Ensenada, Mexico (which turns out to be a 2 1/2 hour ride) because I boarded and sat next to Lis, who is also from Colorado. We all headed down to Ensenada. At the border there were a few guys from Mexico who got on the bus and counted us and finally announced someones name. After the kid went to the front of the bus the Mexican guy announced so we would all hear, "Youre staying! and bring $22.00" All of us got silent and the Mexican man turned to us and reassured us and told us he was just kidding. I think we all took a breath of releif. He then preceeded to tell us a few racist jokes that he apparently told all the SAS busses.
 
Anyways after we got to where the boat is docked we were asked to fill out a few forms, throughly searched and patted down, our bags were checked and FINALLY set foot on to the MV Explorer. I then proceeded to even more lines and tables where I was asked to fill out more information and given my fair share of paperwork. After all of that I found my room and dropped my bags off. I met up with Lis again and we met up with 3 other girls as well. Kelci is from Las Vegas, Lauren is from Colorado, and Steph is from Colorado too (there are a TON of kids from CO on the boat-so much for escaping!) We all headed up to the 6th floor where lunch was being served. We ate outside on the deck. Its so great being able to eat on outside on the deck and watching the ocean and at that time the view of Ensenada. After lunch we explored the ship for a bit and had a lifeboat drill, which was pretty entertaining. After that we went to dinner and later in the night attended a bunch of meetings. Our final meeting was at 21:45 (military time of course) and by that time Id say the majority of the ship was feeling sea sick, including myself.
 
Being sea sick of one of the worst feelings ever. Ive been on cruises before but this boat is smaller and you can feel EVERY wave youre hitting. Though, I guess there are some storms around this way that we have been sailing around but we still get the tail end up it.
 
Anyways, I opted to skip out on the second half of our 21:45 meeting, which ended up being a good decision because I got really sick to my stomach.
 
The next day, Monday I woke up and felt better. We had orientation all day from 09:00 to 18:00 with breaks for lunch and dinner. After lunch I was feeling sea sick again and went into my cabin and slept from 7at night to 7 this monring. Apparantly 12 hours of sleep cured me.
 
Its now our third day on the ship and after my 12 hours of sleep I finally feel better (I think my ear patches help too). Today I had my first classes. We work on an A and B class schedudle. The classes rotate.Today, Tuesday, I have A classes. Tomorrow, Wednesday, Ill have B classes. so on so forth- we dont have classes in port.
 
My first class was at 8 and I guess I read the wrong classroom cause I sat in the wrong class for, yes, the entire time. I made my way to my second class at 9:30 which is Global Studies, which everyone is required to take. You have the class everyday at either 09:30 or 14:00. Half the ship takes it at one time and half takes it at the other. The class is located in the union which is at the front of the boat where the rocking is the worst. Its so weird to sit in class and look at the window and see it go from a full view of the sky to full view of the water over and over. Its super nauseating, so i try not to even look over at the windows.
 
I really like that class though, the professor is really knowledgable and hes hilarious too.
 
I guess that's it for now. Hope everyone back home is well. Its been super nice weather here-a little windy but definitely tollerable. I absolutely love being on the ocean 24/7 (minus the sea sickness) its beautiful and SO blue.
 
 
sidenote- My roommates name is Annie and shes from Seattle, Washington but she goes to Chapman which is in California. Shes a sophomore and shes really nice. Plus she doesnt snore, so shes cool in my book.
 
 
 
 
 
SIX days till Hilo, Hawaii !!!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment